Friday, February 7, 2014

The Wonder of Winter

Wow! This has been (and still is) one COLD SNOWY WINTER!
I want to be positive here (still working on not complaining) so Here are a few things we have done to enjoy this season called winter.



Well first off, this has been the best year I could really think of for Disney to release the movie Frozen. My girls have been making several versions of Olaf, the snowman from this movie. I love listening to Maya sing "In Summer" while building them. Though the funniest time was after her sister finished making a very small Olaf. I called them inside to warm up. Maya then went over to her sister's snowman and stomped on it then came inside. She really wasn't trying to be mean she was in a silly mood thinking about melting snowmen. (or what "frozen things do in Summer") As you can well imagine Morgan didn't see it quite the same way. Maya's humor is usually lost on Morgan. Ben and I held back laughter as we took time to explain to Maya how that wasn't a nice thing to do. I'm still not sure she got it.



Morgan loves to collect things and this winter she started an ice collection. Whenever we go places she finds something and brings it home. She originally wanted to keep the collection in our freezer but we convinced her to keep it outside in the back yard. The Sunday after new years she found left over pieces from the ice sculptures and brought home some ice blocks, triangles and balls. She has also collected several icicles.  Her prized one was about a foot or more taller than she was. I am just glad that she knows ice melts! She has all ready told me she is going to come up with something else fun to collect once all the snow and ice melt. Big question: when will that be??







I wish with all the snow we would have more days warm enough to take advantage of it. We have gone to the park a couple times, like 3 maybe. Morgan loves the slides in the snow. Maya not as much, but she enjoys sledding. I would think they are the same, but to Maya a slide shouldn't have snow on it but a hill, bring it on! Mercy was able to go in a park swing for the first time this January and she loved it... or at least she couldn't protest too much all bundled up in her snow suit. Maya Discovered a shovel and bucket are great for playing in the snow as well as at the beach in the sand. She has enjoyed moving snow around the yard with her little bucket and then dumping it on the just shoveled side walk.




The Ominous walk to school!! Yikes. I'm working on not complaining right...OK...
sigh....... not complaining................ yeah...
Let me just say a double jogging stroller can get through quite a bit but a few inches of snow can really make it hard to push that thing! (by a few we have totaled about 60+ inches over the course of the winter so far)
I do have amazing neighbors who have been absolutely wonderful and have helped me out SO unbelievably much! On sub zero days one neighbor would drive Morgan, on other days after more inches of snow fall other neighbors would walk her to school for me. I don't know what I would do without such great neighbors!



~~~~~

We have had to endlessly shovel our side walks/ driveway etc. One day while Ben was out at the crack of dawn shoveling the snow again so I can get the stroller out of the house. Maya looks at me and asks, "mom, why do we have to keep doing this?"
Me,"doing what?"
Maya, "Shoveling the snow."
Me, "Well, because it keeps snowing."
Maya, "You should tell it to stop."
(I wish I could!!)







No comments:

Post a Comment