Monday, February 24, 2014

Sister love

     Sister love is hard to describe.  I know from having a sister it can be a love hate relationship... you know: You Love getting them in trouble, and Hate sharing your toys with them. You Love spending hours playing games together, but Hate loosing. You Love having someone at school you can hang out with, but Hate how they always know when you are getting in with the wrong crowd. You Love having them bale you out, but Hate admitting to them they were right. You love getting advice, but Hate how you make the same mistakes anyway. You Love sharing life together, but Hate living 13hrs away. 

     I see this sister love/ hate thing playing out with my three!! Morgan LOVES that she has two sisters, one to boss around and one who is pretty much a live doll to her, but she HATES how they get into her things and take mom's attention away from her. When she is in the mood, Morgan will go all out to make a day special for her sisters. She will make them gifts (usually drawings), or get them snacks, play with them or just be silly to entertain them. She will start fun dance parties, tell silly stories after they go to bed (lots of giggles usually followed by a loud "Go to Bed Girls" by me). In General Morgan just loves her sisters, so long as they keep out of her things, and are willing to do as she says.  

     Maya LOVES tagging along with her big sister and pretty much doing whatever Morgan tells her to do, except when she HATES it. Maya is very much a follower except when she isn't. It is really hard to pin point just exactly why Maya Loves or Hates Morgan on any particular day. Maya is basically the "the girl with the curl". "when she is good she is very good, when she is bad she is very bad".  Well when Maya loves, she really loves, but when she doesn't, she really doesn't. Some days it feels like there is never middle ground with Morgan and Maya. They either play super well together or they fight constantly. (totally unlike me and my sister at that age!!) 

     But Maya and Mercy......... Yikes!! This sister love relationship has had a rough start. From the first day we brought Mercy home Maya was not thrilled. She would not look at or talk to whoever held "that baby".  Even 9 months after Maya mostly doesn't seem to like her baby sister...we would see a glimpse here and there, but usually when copying Morgan in front of other people. I simply didn't really think Maya would ever like Mercy, until today.

     Today I had to pee (yeah moms do need to do that every now and then, especially after coffee cup #...um 4?).  I put Mercy down by the couch at the furthest point away from both the bathroom and our stairs to the family room and ran to the bathroom hoping for a minute to myself. Just then I hear Maya Yell, "Mercy NO!" I hurry up and get out of the bathroom to find Maya, who is 3 by the way, holding Mercy right outside the bathroom by the top of the stairs. Mercy in the minute (maybe less) I was in the bathroom had crawled through the living room/ dinning room all the way to the top of the stairs where I find Maya and her. Maya then looks at her sister and says, "You can't fall down those stairs. You will get hurt and you can't get hurt because, I love you." (insert balling mom here!!) Yeah! Maya really does Love Mercy! Good thing too, or I might never be allowed to pee again.  

     I know there will be ups and downs to my three girls love for each other, but Sister Love always prevails at the end of the day (or at the end of the week...). I should know! My big sister has always been there for me, loving me, and just wanting me to stay out of her stuff. She has always wanted me to join her in her way of doing things, and for that I am grateful and blessed!! I would not be the person I am if it weren't for sister love. I hope my girls grow up knowing they can count on each other always, even on days their sisters just annoy them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment